Sunday, February 08, 2009

panthers & lions & snow


The continuing saga of the Eastern Illinois pennant. When I first arrived here in the Summer of 2006, all the partner colleges were represented by a pennant hanging at reception except EIU. So I asked my daughter who was arriving a week or so later to purchase and bring one. I didn't know, however, that there were different size pennants, and the one she brought was a bit, well, small. (My department sent over one in 2007, but it was, alas, a square wall hanging, not a pennant.) Fast forward to 2009 where, this week, graduate student Erin Crawley brought one (purchased by EIU MA Mike Swinford, hi Mike!) over braving snow and all. I picked it up in London.


And on Thursday, in the middle of a snowstorm, I met with EIU English prof, Dagni Bredesen, and EIU students @ Harlaxton Ashley Nolan, Dagmara Sokol, and Erin Wise, in order to display the Panther's pennant.


For the benefit of the History Department, here is Newton Key and history student Erin Wise in front of a rather chilled Harlaxton lion.


Except that Britain has snow like this only once every twenty years and thus has no snow removal equipment to speak of, it was all rather beautiful.

No comments: